Monthly Archives: February 2009

SharePoint log files grow extremely large

Today I ran into a strange issue where the SharePoint log files (located in c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\12\logs) on one of my development VPC’s would rapidly grow in size (5GB+) until I ran out of disk space.

The log file would fill up with the following message (up to 800 occurrences in just 3 thousands of a second!):

02/17/2009 10:57:14.96     OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0DF4)                       0x0E08    Windows SharePoint Services       Timer                             5uuf    Monitorable    The previous instance of the timer job ‘Config Refresh’, id ‘{1520A0E0-E8C6-47F8-BA89-5BEBE5774DFD}’ for service ‘{25FB833C-D7DD-4776-AD50-58105B3A46F0}’ is still running, so the current instance will be skipped.  Consider increasing the interval between jobs.

After searching the web for a little while, I found the solution was to clear the SharePoint Configuration Cache as described in this post by Joe Rodgers.

  1. Stop the OWSTIMER service on ALL of the MOSS servers in the farm.
  2. On the Index server, navigate to %ALLUSERSPROFILE% \Application Data\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\ and delete all the XML files from the directory.
  3. Edit cache.ini and reset the number in the file to 1.
  4. Start the OWSTIMER service on the Index server and wait for XML files to begin to reappear in the directory.
  5. After you see XML files appearing on the Index server, repeat steps 2, 3 & 4 on the query server(s), waiting for XML files to appear before moving to subsequent servers.
  6. After the query servers have all been cleared, proceed to the WFE and Application servers in the farm, following steps 2, 3 & 4. for each server.